Sri Nrisimha Kavacha of Prahlad from Brahmanda Purana.
Sri nrisimha kavacham
prahlaadenoditam puraa |
1. I shall now recite the Narasimha-kavacha, formerly spoken by Prahlada
Maharaja. It is most pious, vanquishes all kinds of impediments, and provides one all protection.
dhyaatvaa nrisinham devesham,
2. It bestows upon one all opulences and can give one elevation to the
heavenly planets or liberation. One should meditate on Lord Narasimha, Lord of the universe, seated upon a golden throne.
3. His mouth is wide open, He has three eyes, and He is as radiant as the
autumn moon. He is embraced by Lakshmi devi on his left side, and His form is the shelter of all opulences, both material
4. The Lord has four arms, and His limbs are very soft. He is decorated
with golden earrings. His chest is resplendent like the lotus flower, and His arms are decorated with jewel-studded ornaments.
sphuran maanikya-diiptibhih ||
5. He is dressed in a spotless yellow garment, which exactly resembles
molten gold. He is the original cause of existence, beyond the mundane sphere, for the great demigods headed by Indra. He
appears bedecked with rubies which are blazingly effulgent.
sankha-chakraadi hetibhih |
garutmataa cha vinayaat,
stuuyamaanam mudaanvitam ||
6. His two feet are very attractive, and He is armed with various weapons
such as the conch, disc, etc. GaruDa joyfully offers prayers with great reverence.
kritvaa tu kavacham pathet ||
7. Having seated Lord Narasimhadeva upon the lotus of one's heart, one
should recite the following mantra:
Om nrisimho me shirah paatu,
sarva-go 'pi stambha-vaasah,
phalam me rakshatu dhvanim ||
nrisimho me drishau paatu,
8. May Lord Narasimha, who protects all the planetary systems, protect
my head. 9. Although the Lord is all-pervading, He hid Himself within a pillar. May He protect my speech and the results of
my activities. May Lord Narasimha, whose eyes are the sun, and fire, protect my eyes.
smitam me paatu nriharih,
naasam me sinha-naashas tu,
mukham lakshmii-mukha-priyah ||
10. May Lord Nrihari, who is pleased by the prayers offered by the best
of sages, protect my memory. May He who has the nose of a lion protect my nose, and may He whose face is very dear to the
goddess of fortune protect my mouth.
nrisinho rasanam mama |
vaktram paatv indu-vadanam,
sadaa prahlaada-vanditah ||
11. May Lord Narasimha, who is the knower of all sciences, protect my sense
of taste. May He whose face is beautiful as the full moon and who is offered prayers by Prahlaada Mahaaraaja protect my face.
nrisimhah paatu me kantham,
skandhau bhuubhrid ananta-krit |
nrisimhah paatu me bhujau ||
12. May Lord Narasimha protect my throat. He is the sustainer of the earth
and the performer of unlimitedly wonderful activities. May He protect my shoulders. His arms are resplendent with transcendental
weapons. May He protect my shoulders.
karau me deva-varado,
nrisimhah paatu sarvatah |
hridayam yogi-saadhyash cha,
nivaasam paatu me harih ||
13. May the Lord, who bestows benedictions upon the demigods, protect my
hands, and may He protect me from all sides. May He who is achieved by the perfect yogis protect my heart, and may Lord Hari
protect my dwelling place.
madhyam paatu hiranyaaksha,
naabhim me paatu nriharih,
14. May He who ripped apart the chest and abdomen of the great demon HiraNyaaksha
protect my waist, and may Lord Nrihari protect my navel. He is offered prayers by Lord Brahmaa, who has sprung from his own
yasyaasau paatu me katim |
guhyam me paatu guhyaanaam,
mantraanaam guhya-ruupa-drik ||
15. May He on whose hips rest all the universes protect my hips. May the
Lord protect my private parts. He is the knower of all mantras and all mysteries, but He Himself is not visible.
uuruu mano-bhavah paatu,
jaanunii nara-ruupa-drik |
janghe paatu dharaa-bhara,
hartaa yo 'sau nrikesharii ||
16. May He who is the original Cupid protect my thighs. May He who exhibits
a human-like form protect my knees. May the remover of the burden of the earth, who appears in a form which is half-man and
half-lion, protect my calves.
paadau me nrihariishvarah |
paatu me sarvashas tanum ||
17. May the bestower of heavenly opulence protect my feet. He is the Supreme
Controller in the form of a man and lion combined. May the thousand-headed Supreme enjoyer protect my body from all sides
and in all respects.
mahograh puurvatah paatu,
mahaa-viiraagrajo 'gnitah |
mahaa-vishhnur dakshine tu,
mahaa-jvalas tu nairritah ||
18. May that most ferocious personality protect me from the east. May He
who is superior to the greatest heroes protect me from the southeast, which is presided over by Agni. May the Supreme Vishnu
protect me from the south, and may that person of blazing luster protect me from the southwest.
pashchime paatu sarvesho,
dishi me sarvato mukhah |
nrisimhah paatu vaayavyaam,
saumyaam bhuushana-vigrahah ||
19. May the Lord of everything protect me from the west. His faces are
everywhere, so please may He protect me from this direction. May Lord Narasimha protect me from the northwest, which is predominated
by Vaayu, and may He whose form is in itself the supreme ornament protect me from the north, where Soma resides.
iishanyam paatu bhadro me,
mrityor mrityur nri-kesharii ||
20. May the all-auspicious Lord, who Himself bestows all-auspiciousness,
protect from the northeast, the direction of the sun-god, and may He who is death personified protect me from fear of death
and rotation in this material world.
bhaktimaan yah pathen nityam,
sarva-paapaih pramuchyate ||
21. This Narasimha-kavacha has been ornamented by issuing from the mouth
of Prahlaada Mahaaraaja. A devotee who reads this becomes freed from all sins.
putravaan dhanavaan loke,
diirghaayur upajaayate |
yam yam kaamayate kaamam,
tam tam praapnoty asanshayam ||
22. Whatever one desires in this world he can attain without doubt. One
can have wealth, many sons, and a long life.
sarvatra jayam aapnoti,
sarvatra vijayii bhavet |
bhuumy antariiksha divyaanaam,
grahaanaam vinivaaranam ||
23. He becomes victorious who desires victory, and indeed becomes a conqueror.
He wards off the influence of all planets, earthly, heavenly, and everything in between.
vishhaapaharanam param |
24. This is the supreme remedy for the poisonous effects of serpents and
scorpions, and Brahma-raakshasa ghosts and Yakshas are driven away.
bhuurje vaa taala-patre vaa,
kavacham likhitam shubham |
karamuule dhritam yena,
sidhyeyuh karma-siddhayah |
svam svam eva jayam labhet ||
25. If this most auspicious prayer is written either on a bhoja-patra
or on a palm-leaf and if one attaches it to his wrist, all his activities will become perfect. He becomes victorious whether
among demigods, demons, or human beings.
eka-sandhyam tri-sandhyam vaa,
yah pathen niyato narah |
bhuktim muktim cha vindati ||
26. One who regularly chants this prayer, whether once or thrice (daily),
he attains the most auspicious of all auspicious things, and material enjoyment and liberation are already understood to be
available to such a person.
pathet shuddhaatmanaam nrinaam |
mantra-siddhih prajaayate ||
27. One who with purified heart recites this prayer 32,000 times, achieves
the (mantra-siddhi) perfection of this Nrisimha-kavacha mantra.
kritvaa bhasmaabhi-mantranam |
tilakam vinyased yas tu,
tasya graha-bhayam haret ||
28. One who marks his body with the tilak of ashes after having empowered
by the chanting of this mantra-raja, the king of all mantras, will find that the fear of all inauspicious planets is removed.
tri-vaaram japamaanas tu,
dattam vaary abhimantrya cha |
prashayed yo naro mantram,
nrisinha-dhyaanam aacharet |
tasya rogah pranashyanti,
ye cha syuh kukshi-sambhavaah ||
29. If a sick person drinks a cup of water which is sanctified by reciting
this mantra three times, while meditating upon Lord Narasimhadeva, has all of his diseases vanquished, including those of
garjantam gaarjayantam nija-bhuja-patalam sphotayantam hatantam
ruupyantam taapayantam divi bhuvi ditijam kshepayantam kshipantam |
krandantam roshhayantam dishi dishi satatam samharantam bharantam
viikshantam puurnayantam kara-nikara-shatair divya-simham namaami ||
30. Lord Narasimha roars loudly and causes others to roar. With
His multitudes of arms He tears the demons asunder and kills them in this way. He is always seeking out and tormenting the
demonic descendants of Diti, both on this earth planet and in the higher planets, and Hs throws them down and scatters them.
He cries with great anger as He destroys the demons in all directions, yet with His unlimited hands He sustains, protects,
and nourishes the cosmic manifestation. I offer my respectful obeisances to the Lord, who has assumed the form of a transcendental